Sent: Sunday, June 03, 2007 11:30 AM
Subject: Re: I want to go geek .. DOS subsystem
mhchoate wrote:
to get back use of my then printer (no driver available for Win98) .... I got it working by loading the DOS dir ...
I'm not clear on what you mean by "loading the DOS dir." One can log into
a dir (cd d:\mydir) or put it in the path, but I never heard of "loading"
one, as if it were an app.
But, to repeat what Robert has said several times, this obsession with DOS
as if it were necessary for Xy (useful for other things, yes) is, IMO,
misplaced. Xy runs on the VDM that is part of every Windows version--even,
apparently, Vista. Intermittent problems with jerky cursor in windowed
mode and (in Marge's case, and I think one other) of inability to get full
screen have been reported, but the first does not seem to be universal,
nor the second common. (I STILL suspect a hardware or BIOS component in
both, but too few people know what hardware they're running on to enable
me to get a handle on it.)
What I gather Robert is proposing with his BARTPC plug-in would be
slightly different: a whole, workable opsys for when yours goes down,
complete with Xy so you CAN do useful work while figuring out what's wrong
and getting it fixed. I nearly always have another PC to hand, but a thing
like that would come in darn handy if one was traveling, had to give a
presentation and give out some handouts one was still working on, and
one's laptop suddenly went kerflooey.

--
Patricia M. Godfrey
PriscaMG@xxxxxxxx