Re: file searching/vista help

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008, Patricia M. Godfrey wrote:
investigate Proto-Indo-European roots?
Just possibly because scholars are suspecting that it's quite difficult to reconstruct PIE. I recall a co-worker, of Lithuanian extraction, telling me that Lithuanian was the closest modern language to PIE, and that was why the OED (the 1933 ed., which despite its descriptivist principles remained stanchly prescriptivist in practice) so often cited Lith. in the etymologies. I don't necessarily believe her, but...
If you want to get into an "interesting" argument, give that account to a
Latvian, who will tell you Latvian is closest. Then go inland from Riga
to someone who still speaks a certain Lettish dialect....

Cheers,
Carlo
thyrsus@xxxxxxxx