Re: eeeditor

--- On Tue, 1/13/09, Raphael Tennenbaum  wrote:

> From: Raphael Tennenbaum
> Subject: Re: eeeditor
> To: "xywrite@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
> Date: Tuesday, January 13, 2009, 9:30 PM
> On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 16:41:46 -0800 (PST), J R FOX wrote:
>
> the only eCS for which I have a
> license is 1.2, which installed pretty nicely on the
> ThinkPad, and I will consider
> getting 2.0 when it's released. I may be mistaken, but
> I think there are no eCS
> drivers for the eee's wifi card as yet, though they
> will likely do some miraculous
> things with ndiswrapper before too long.

>From what I've seen, a couple of the areas where the development seems to be concentrated are updated drivers and improving the installer. How much this helps a given user (and their particular hardware) seems to vary. W. Meyer has been doing some good things with GenMac.

> the thought that went through my head was, rather than
> spending for eCS now, I'll
> hope that someone sells a license for an SDHC card which
> contains a full proper
> boot for the eeePC. that would be awesome.

I would very much have liked to see support in GenMac for the kind of wireless USB Nic-stick I've
been using for some time now, but I think that is more of a long-shot, as may be a card pre-install
to which you referred. (Back when I searched for any Linux drivers for that Nic-stick -- because
there has been so much porting activity on the Linux stuff -- all I could find was some very early
Alpha development, with a lot of caveats.)

I've been impressed with what I've seen of the triple-E so far. Anyone interested in these should
be aware that there are a number of competitors in this category. I've seen HP models around, and
Acer has a line of them. Reportedly, Acer will shortly be coming out with one that offers a 10-inch
screen. Whether that is enough screen-estate to overcome the (valid) objections raised here by
Patricia and others -- about whether serious word-processing is actually viable in that form-factor
-- I do not know.

 Jordan