Re: [Junk released by Allow List] Re: more on MS networking

--- "Patricia M. Godfrey"  wrote:

> Carl Distefano wrote:
> > What's the word on Verizon FiOS (assuming that's
> even an option for
> > Patricia)? Fast? Reliable?

> Anyway, it means putting in another line. If I did
> that, I'd have
> them run a regular NEW copper line and get DSL on
> that.

Hi Patricia,

I guess the telco companies must be much less
responsive about such things (infrastructure) in the
NYC area than they are here. I've had DSL for
something like 6 or 7 years, with periodic upgrades
along the way, both in service level *and*
(necessarily) in infrastructure. The latter *had to
be* seriously upgraded at least a couple times, in
order to step up to the higher service / performance
level. This generally involved new fiber optic cable
(somewhere along the route) and new junction or
repeater stations (not what they actually called, I
think, but I forget the correct terminology) along the
route. I am currently receiving the top tier of DSL
at less cost (!) than the far slower DSL service I
started with -- which _did_ take some maneuvering
through the system and some wheeling and dealing. It
is nearly as fast as the faster cable modem service
one can get. To get something faster, you're looking
at one of those T-something lines, at many times the
cost. But I'm more than satisfied with what I have.

As to the copper wiring portion, we have squirrels who
like to chew into the lines, and rain that sometimes
gets into the boxes out on the pole and shorts
something out. We call it to the Telco's attention,
it gets taken care of promptly. No way that stuff
could ever survive even a fraction of 100 years. So,
I'm left wondering just what you are getting for your
money ?

My provider was PacBell, which became SBC, which is
now AT&T.

 Jordan