Re: **SPAM**

Forgive me if this list has already discussed
spamgourmet.com as a way to avoid spam. I can't imagine a group likelier
to appreciate this site as much as I do. It's only a way to avoid getting
new spam, though; it won't protect you from spammers who've already got
your address. This is a letter I wrote recently, describing it to some
friends. -Alan
Clark introduced me to this simple solution for avoiding spam. I've been using it for months now, and it's so simple, and works so delightfully well, that I thought I'd pass it along to any of you who receive spam. Just log on to http://www.spamgourmet.com/ to set it up. For those who are curious, here's a simple description of
the system:
You need to connect to spamgourmet.com only once, to choose a user name.
I chose alanheubert@xxxxxxxx. Now, whenever I need to give my e-mail
address over the internet (when buying something, or when registering to
use a free service such as on-line newspapers), I make up a name I've
never used before, say "namefortoday", and give my e-mail address as
namefortoday.5.alanheubert@xxxxxxxx. (They also mention other domains
you can use, such as "spamgourmet.com" or "xoxy.net." It's good to pick
one and stick to it, though.) When the company to whom I've just given
that address sends me e-mail, spamgourmet forwards the mail to my real
address (which I gave to spamgourmet that one time I connected to their
site).
Here's the good part: That "5" in my address (I'm free each time to use
any number I'd like up through 20) means that only 5 e-mails will get
forwarded to me. Any further e-mails to that address will simply get
eaten by spamgourmet. That's the basic system, and all you need to know
(though there are additional options for connoisseurs [and you XyWriters
will love them all]). The folks who set up this site have great spirit!
Their home page proudly announces statistics of how much spam they've
"eaten" to date. The service is free.
Since first sending out that letter, I learned that there's just one other

detail to using that system well: You need to make sure you don't give out

the same e-mail address twice, because if you give it out once (say that one

I used above as an example) and receive five messages from them, you'll never

receive another that's sent to that address. So if you give the address out to

someone else, you'll never receive anything from them. My system for making

sure I choose a new address each time is simply to use today's date in the

address, e.g. 101204.5.alanheubert@xxxxxxxx. Then if I need a second address

in the same day, I'd use 101204a.5.alanheubert@xxxxxxxx. Not the prettiest

addresses, perhaps, but the companies to whom you're giving it out won't care

a bit.