Re: DOS Emulator

** Reply to message from "J. R. Fox"  on Wed, 22 Jan 2003
08:47:10 -0800

> > Dual boot, so you can run either of 2 OSes.
>
> Other than possibly cost, a bit more time and effort, I don't see why people
> seem to be
> afraid of dual boot. With some planning and foresight -- or the guidance of
> others who
> have done it -- this is highly reliable.

Except for a couple of things: It's a pain in the neck. There's no
simultaneity or concurrence. If you have apps you like that run exclusively on
one OpSys or another, you gotta go through this whole megillah to access "the
other one". You've got lousy compromises with file systems (yes, Henk Kelder's
FAT32 works reliably, but it's slooooow; and PINBALL.SYS barfs if the physical
disk is more than 8 gig; and Ext2 is clunky outside *nix).

I've dual/triple/quadruple-booted ever since there was an alternative to DOS,
and I'm incessantly going back and forth. It sucks. Someday I'm gonna get VPC.

P.S. Jordan! Would you pleeeeze str-e-e-e-t-c-h your Mozilla composition
winodw to match or exceed the size of your line wrap spec? Every post has
short wraps -- and it ain't us, it's you! The wraps are hard in the POP files
you send.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx