Re: OFF TOPICS: Old DOS software

ca wrote:

> From:          Self
> To:           xywrite@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject:        Old DOS software
> Date sent:       Wed, 17 May 2000 07:35:16 +0200
>
> I' m looking news about old DOS software, like xy3/xy4
> (web sites, lists, groups etc.)
>
> Could someone help me ?
> Thanks !

One place you might want to take a look at is Recycled Software
800-851-2425. (That # is pulled from a db record from 1999, so
may not still be valid.) But they are headquartered in Las
Vegas, every so often put out a multi-page printed list in
spreadsheet format, the most recent one I've seen being from a
few months ago. I don't know if they have a website these days,
but they didn't the last time I checked. They do resale of
previously owned software, with documentation, sometimes *with* a
license (which costs more), and occasionally still in
shrinkwrap. Of course, a theoretical license won't do you much
good if the s/w publisher is defunct or the product
discontinued. Nevertheless, they seem to be one of the better
resources for this, and tend to have a good cross-section of
"golden oldies" of the s/w world. [Update: looks like they do
have a very minimalist website, recycledsoftware.com , but what
you'd want is to get on their mailing list.]

For s/w items of more recent vintage, esp. those replaced on
store shelves by more recent versions, I've made a couple
purchases from a small shop called CompuPerfect. Just went to
their site, however, and . . .  either They're Gone, or they are
experiencing server/hosting type problems. Probably have a phone
# for them I could dig out of the filing cabinet.

Other clear possibilities include taking your chances on Ebay.
In quite a few transactions there, I've only had one moderate
disappointment (item was acceptable, but did not live up to
description of condition), several unqualified successes, and
zero burns. Supposedly, at least one out of every 40,000 online
transactions turns out to involve fraud of one sort or another,
but so far I guess I'm ahead of the curve. Anyway, an Ebay
listing is how I found Compuperfect. Many legit stores sell off
their leftover stock in this way, particularly for things like
computer parts, discontinued printers and home electronics, etc.
Buying from a store in this manner may be a bit safer than
bidding in a private party auction, but I have bought things like
memory, and a Postscript cartridge for my ancient HP-LJ II from
private parties on Ebay.

Another option is to explore the Usenet newsgroups. There are
newsgroups for just about everything you can imagine, so there
must be some devoted to DOS app.s. The problem here is that it's
time intensive, the "Signal to Noise Ratio" is often annoyingly
unfavorable, and you never really know who you're talking to.
But if you really need some info, it can be useful. I recommend
using a newsreader that lets you munge your address header, or
else 10,000 spambots will harvest it for their own vile purposes.

Compuserve used to be a great resource for things like this, but
it's been fading pretty badly for the last few years.

As some one else pointed out, for Xy, THIS is the place. At
least in terms of anything that's still around.

Hope this helps.

Jordan