Re: Strange files...

"Robert Holmgren"  wrote:

> I agree: some TMP files are auto-deleted by XyWrite, others are not.

Ever since the dawn of time, my default DR has pointed towards a
good-sized RAM drive (remember those?). Any TMP files that XyWrite cares
to deposit there cleanly and silently disappear into oblivion at every
reboot or shutdown (along with temporary files from some of my XPL
routines and overflow files from various other programs). Starting
several iterations of XyWrite during a single Windows session (something
that I often do) also never causes any problems. (The random naming
convention seems to take care of that.) Just for safety's sake, though,
my AOP setting causes AUTOSAV files to be retained on actual magnetic
particles (not that I've needed them so far).

I remember reading somewhere that Windows 2k and/or XP no longer support
RAM drives. If so, more's the pity. Their speed advantage versus
physical drives has of course all but disappeared, but their temporary
nature can still be very handy. In any case, I run well-oiled Win 98SE
configurations on each of the several computers in this house that have
XyWrite on them. I also have an XP machine (networked, of course) for
other things that require later OSs (very few, in fact).

And while we're on the topic of dinosauring, I do load various programs
onto SGTs at startup (just never got around to folding them into U2) and
my memory figures for XyWrite are shockingly low (15). But even when
handling large files and with lots of stuff open, Xy virtually never
crashes on me.

Wolfgang Bechstein
bechstein@xxxxxxxx