Re: XY Under Vista

Reply to note from "Patricia M. Godfrey"  Sun,
25 Feb 2007 00:58:41 -0500

>> William E. Shawcross wrote:
>> I have installed XyWrite III Plus, Ver. 3.55, on my new Vista
>> machine and it appears to work just the same as it does on my XP
>> machine.
>
> ...I am extremely surprised.

I, for one, am not. My theory is that the VDM is so far off MS's
radar screen that it's unlikely to have received much attention, and
therefore unlikely to have changed much, since XP. Come to that,
has the VDM changed since NT4? It looks and feels the same to me.

People on the NotaBene list are beginning to report success running
the mostly 16-bit NB for Windows on Vista. That doesn't surprise
me, either. Even if MS is counting on an eventual mass upgrade in
hardware and applications in response to Vista, it would be stupid
to jettison backward compatibility with existing hardware and apps,
thereby alienating early adopters and generating a lot of negative
word-of-mouth. And whatever else MS is, it's not stupid.

So my attitude is wait-and-see. Eventually enough of us will have
Xy running on Vista machines to develop a clear picture of the
compatibilities and the problems. (You won't be hearing from me
anytime soon, as I have no plan to switch from XP until this machine
gives out, which I estimate won't be for another 4-6 years.) If I
had to bet, though, I'd put my money on Xy's running just fine,
whether under the Vista VDM or under a third-party virtual machine
running under (or over) Vista.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx