Re: help help with u2 installation

** Reply to message from "Avrom Fischer"  on Fri, 24 Dec 2004
08:57:10 -0500

> Not wishing to take any chance of messing up my Xywrite program which is
> located in a directory on my c: drive called \xy4 I created a new directory on
> my c drive called c:\u2xy. I copied all of the files in c:\xy4 to c:\u2xy. In
> all there were 266 files copied included Editor.exe, startup.int

> xywrite seems to work perfectly fine when started from the editor in the u2xy
> directory

You're not going to "mess up" anything by putting all those files in C:\XY4,
your *original* XyWrite directory and the *proper location* for all of them
(except KMD.EXE, which you correctly -- for *your* system -- put in
D:\WINDOWS). C:\XY4 is where they belong. Making, then moving all your files
to, C:\U2XY is not a good idea. References in STARTUP.INT, SETTINGS,DFL, in
your PRiNter files, and in the DOS PATH spec (hopefully, if you put Editor's
directory in the PATH, as you should) all point at the original installation
location, C:\XY4. You are asking for trouble by making that move. U2, DLG,
REG should all go in C:\XY4. Move them there when XyWrite is not running.

> [cURL] is it only for xyweb116 or for xyweb117 as well. Also what is cURL.

It's for U2 henceforth. cURL is an elegant command line HTTP and FTP file
transfer program, which (as integrated with U2) downloads/uploads files and web
pages etc from, well, from anywhere, but mainly from the Internet, and
automatically loads them into XyWrite windows for
viewing/editing/executing/installing, etc etc.

> Also what is the REGEDIT command.

For EDITing the U2 REGistry. Type HELP REGEDIT for more information
than you need. People used to put personal configuration directly into U2
itself. That proved a bad idea because, in the course of editing the U2 file,
they screwed it up appallingly (U2 is rather delicate). So we moved all
configuration data to a single plain-text file, XyWWWeb.REG. The terminology
here parallels that of the external Windows Registry, which I thought was a
good idea because it was familiar, and people would immediately know what we
were driving at. One look at XyWWWeb.REG, and you know 1) it isn't the Windows
Registry, and 2) it's simple configuration stuff -- filenames and locations,
mainly, all XyWrite-related. But instead, everything about it -- the
nomenclature, the data inside -- seems to scare people. They should get
un-scared.

I mean, look, XyWrite is a DOS word processor. With the immense spread of
general ignorance under the Windows regime, XyWrite (and DOS) look increasingly
like exotic hacker tools and environments -- whereas 10-15 years ago, they were
comfortably conventional. People who are unfamiliar or uneasy with DOS are
using the wrong writing tool. That's just a fact. Or in any case they should
leave well enough alone (not make changes to their setup) -- if that leaves
them out in the cold in terms of exploiting some opportunities (like use of
U2), well ... so be it.

> where do I go to get an explanation of what I am doing.

Go here, and download file REG-READ.ME (from this page):

 http://users.datarealm.com/xywwweb/xysearch.cgi?xywrite/2004/msg00977.htm

> when in confusion I had typed [REGEDIT "d:\path\XYREG117.UPD"] and
> then hit the f1 key

F1 is what you configured as your ? Well, I hope you didn't LITERALLY
type "d:\path\...". (you wouldn't do that, would you? Naw.) Because that
refers to _your_ drive:\path where the referenced file is located! If it was
in C:\XY4, you would type REGEDIT "C:\XY4\XYREG117.UPD". WhenEVER you see
something like "d:\path" it is not intended LITERALLY; it is a convention
representing a *replaceable parameter*! You SUBSTITUTE your situation for the
"d:\path".

> I called up xywwweb.reg and was in over my head. Where do I find an
> explanation of what those items are so that I can fill them in.

If you know what a Variable means, fill it in. Your name you know -- if not,
Copy and Paste from one of your Emails. Your time zone relative to GMT you
probably know. Your COMSPEC is worth knowing, although with KMD.EXE
(one-size-fits-all command processor) we've moved away (thank god) from needing
to know which OpSys specifically you are using. If you don't know what what a
Variable means, do nothing (do NOT erase something you don't understand --
either adjust it so that it is obviously correct, or leave it alone). U2's
Help file will tell you what to do in most cases where info is required in
order to successfully execute a particular U2 program. Entering info in REG is
a one-time deal: you input data correctly once, and you forget about it.

> Thanks for the help.

Welcome. Merry Christmas!

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx