Re: Dosemu, Linux, XyWrite

bob zimmerman wrote:

>I don't think there's any clipboard way to insert text into XyWrite [in Linux], but I've
>played with a workaround for doing so, though I haven't tried to insert more
>than plaintext into a file.

An excellent workaround, Paul. It's so obvious I completely missed it. What Linux program do you paste text into and save clip.txt with?

By default, gedit (in Ubuntu) opens clip.txt.  I just click on the link on my desktop and go; Ubuntu chooses the application. In Kubuntu, Freespire, Suse, and other KDE desktop distributions, you'd use kwrite or kate, but in Ubuntu and these others there's no reason why you couldn't use OpenOffice or something else. But I work with text-only files (diacrits being encoded by SGML entities), so all I have need to insert is text, and I don't need 100 buttons cluttering up what's essentially a waystation. So I use gedit.

I work in Xy4, but don't use it for all my writing needs; until very recently I could not print from DOS, NET USE being useless (& it still is, for unknown reasons) in my case. And I'm just playing, more or less, in Ubuntu right now, because most Xy things are easier at the moment in WinXP with Tamedos, and my earlier experiences with DosBox and dosemu were unsatisfying or worse. So I'm hardly expert here.

pl

Paul Lagasse
PO Box 144
Kemblesville, PA 19347
pglagasse@xxxxxxxx

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. -- The Borg
Cooperate with the inevitable. -- Dale Carnegie