Re: Dosemu, Linux, XyWrite -- another clipboard kludge

andy turnbull wrote:
I had xy4 but didn't like it. Still got the discs, but it seems it can be loaded only once.

Definitely not so. I have Xy4 installed and running on 4 desktops
(98 Initial Release, 98 SE, W2K, and XP) and 3 laptops (95C,
98SE, Vista). Of course, the Installation routine doesn't work
under Windows, but you just copy your setup from box to box,
being careful either to duplicate your directory structure or to
edit your configuration files (startup.int, settings.dfl, etc.)
beforehand. XyWrite.com and Vetusware have setups for download,
and I made a clean install on one of the 98 boxes (where one can
boot to DOS) and can snail-mail a CD to anyone who might want it.

WHAT it is that some people "don't like" about Xy4 I have never
been able to figure out. Signature, yes, that was pretty bad. But
Xy4? All the best of III with lots of additional goodies, not to
mention U2, which is a lifesaver. De gustibus...

Tried the kludge Patricia suggested, but my windows xp won't let me copy.
Sorry, I was copying from a Win-native app (Thunderbird) to Xy. If you're copying From Xy (or any DOS app), you have to do the whole thing from the right-click menu. Thus:
Right-click, then Edit, then Mark. Then define the text using
your mouse (Xy's native Define command won't work--at least not in Vista). Then Right-click, Edit, Copy. From there, you can either paste in a Win app with Ctrl-V or in a DOS one (incl. another Xy session) using the Right click->Edit->Paste menu.

But it's an awful kludge. Try Xy4 (you can use a Xy3-like
keyboard, and I have--somewhere--a printable keyboard template
for the out-of-the-box Xy4 keyboard assignments) and U2. You will
find them much more useful. Trust me--and lots of people who have
bitten the bullet.
Wouldn't it be nice is someone would produce a new program (compatable with modern machines) as good as xy3?
They have: Xy4. And NB, I hear, though that has bugs. Xy runs
fine on "modern machines" (including dual-cores, AMD and Intel).
Yes, you have to do a bit of tweaking. Isn't the ability to tweak
one of the things we love about Xy?

By the by, apart from an initial slowness loading, I find NO
jerky cursor at all on the Vista laptop. That could be an
artifact of so much faster a CPU, but then there's all the
Redmond bloat (Bill taketh what Andy giveth, as the geeks' saying
has it).

--
Patricia M. Godfrey
priscameg@xxxxxxxx