Re: Windows registry cleanup tools - PowerQuest Drive Image

Harry Binswanger wrote:

No can do. No floppy drives.
Do you have a CD or DVD drive? Because Acronis (the home ed) lets you create a bootable CD. Now I think you have to have a boot floppy (which in the case of NT flavors would, I assume, have to be ERUNT, since pure MS NT doesn't boot from a floppy)? But that's for creating it, so you might be able to finagle it into thinking a flash drive was a floppy. I've had Acronis for over a year now; don't use it as much as I did, because after a year+ of running, I figure if the system goes south I'm better off with a clean reinstall, though in that case I'll probably start with one of the "bare hardware" image CDs I created rather than doing it strictly from scratch.
But I agree with Wolfgang that the home ed is
reasonably priced and works well. (When I got it, you
didn't have to pay extra for support; that, I agree, is
a scam pure and simple.) And my experience of Norton
has made me very leery of them.
Norton will set it up and also load up drivers for your USB ports allowing
access to the backup image.
That's great, if it can actually do that. Seems like it would have to be
a really low-level (i.e., deep-level) change, to make drivers work
before the OS is loaded.
As an aside, Norton also provide a Ghost Explorer, that allows you to open
and extract files (tho not add to) from a Ghost image.

That's a nice feature.

I guess I should take the plunge with Ghost 2003.

Thanks.

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx

--