Re: Workaround (Binswanger)

** Reply to note from nsivin@xxxxxxxx (Nathan Sivin) Sat, 7 Dec 1996

> Harry Binswanger:

> Your 3-command shortcut does not meet the main condition, maintaining
> the display mode *whatever it happens to be.

Nathan, that's *your* condition. He's just addressing this one situation, which
arises only in WG mode. Whereas you want a generic SAve key to stick in your KBD
file. Two different things. Let's face it: toggling WF and hardcoding an exit
value of WF=1 doesn't necessarily restore the pre-existing condition either! If you
want to do this right (assuming toggling WF solves your problem in the first place,
an assumption that I don't make BTW), you gotta write a short routine and, either,
stick it in U2 or else use Carl's forthcoming program "XMacro", which restores
KBD-file programming to XyWrite. We were robbed of this facility in Xy4 (although
it was very very tricky in Xy3, and probably too exotic for most users; I don't see
any file that explains the procedure at either the CCAT gopher or ftp sites, and I
may not have the docs anymore). Anyway -- Xmacro restores it, with a simple,
intuitive interface. Very practical and useful; the only downside is that it may
have the unintended effect of encouraging U2phobia, or perhaps I should say
postponing u2pia.

Xmacro: Coming soon!

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx