Re: Incredible Disappearing Speedos

Sorry for the delay in reply, I came in late on this conversation and wanted to
"get up to speed" with your printer issues. Before addressing some of the
specific questions posed in your message, I was wondering what effect you are
trying to achieve by loading the HP4 driver. Are you trying to achieve font
scalability? By commenting out the UO (Use Outlines) statement in the printer
driver, you are able to issue the D IM=1 command and not get an error message.
However, with the UO setting intact, Image mode not specified, and using the
HP2 driver you should be able to scale your Speedo fonts up to 144 point.
When you bring up the Typeface box the scalable type faces will show up with a
list of point sizes. Although we can scale up to 144 point, only those sizes
specified by the ZS setting in SETTINGS.DFL will be displayed. Try a test with
the Swiss font and let me know whether you can scale this fully or not. If
there are some attributes you are trying to achieve by loading the HP 4 driver,
let me know and I'll see if there is a viable solution using the HP2. Regarding
the ZL value, this is the Laser Printer setting. It is described on page 164
of the Customization Guide. The SCRFONTS.BIN file is not used in versions of
XyWrite 4 past the original release version 4.0. I am sorry for the confusion
on the matter. The functions of this file are now handled internally by the
editor which streamlines the process of adding fonts. Again, please let me know
if the HP4 driver is providing any specific attribute you need, or if the HP2
driver will not allow you to scale your fonts and I will deal with those issues
separately. Thanks Kevin Duval