Re: XyWrite Development

:   WordPerfect supplies a macro that will : automatically
convert WPW 5.2 macros to 6, :   but they make it clear that it
mostly doesn't : work, and they are right. The 1000-page macro :
manual gives no clue about the changes.

Nathan: The last version of WP I tried was v4.something but, as I
understand it, WP's macro system isn't comparable to xpl, so I'm
not sure how appropriate it is as a model. Are you suggesting
that how Novell/WP does or doesn't document this corporate word
processor's upgrades relieves TTG of the responsibility to
document xyWrite function changes?

:   I hope you don't mean to give the impression : that XY is
particularly unhelpful to people : who write complex macros and
face upgrading.

I was discussing the lack of TTG documentation of function
redefinitions, not xyWrite itself. When TTG changed the name of
the app from Signature to xyWrite, I assumed--I think not
unfairly--that the v4 manuals would document all changes to
xyWrite 3 functions. I had in mind, at minimum, something like
this clear, succinct entry I recently came across in the v3.56
README file that describes the oft-discussed change to the AR
function. Under the heading
"USERS WHO ARE UPGRADING FROM A PREVIOUS VERSION":

"The Auto-Replace function is now an action key rather than a
toggle key.
 Type the abbreviation and press Ctrl R to expand it to the
replacement word(s) you entered into the personal dictionary.
Auto-Replace does not check the spelling of the word. Refer to
the change pages shipped with your upgrade disk for a more
complete explanation of Auto-Replace."

I haven't looked at the change pages for the more complete
explanation, but where is even this much for v4 ...
   "The UD function is now ... "?
   "The SD function is now ... "?
   "Mode commands now ..."? etc., etc.--a guide to *all* v3
functions and commands that will produce unexpected results when
run under v4? It doesn't seem a lot to ask since, aside from
speed, custom configurability is xyWrite's hallmark; users had
many years to build custom v3 libraries. --Annie

========================== annie fisher  nyc