Re: Undocumented keyboard functions NB 3.0 - knowledgebase needed

Myron wrote: "Dave Erickson had the wonderfully good sense to insist that the core code
of the program remain "lean, mean and masterful", while providing
efficient ways to add on an amazing variety of "features", especially
via XPL language."

I completely agree. The modularity of XyWrite makes it superior. Unfortunately, N.B. 4.x and XyW4
and successors did lose some of the modularity making customization less easy. Therefore, I am stuck
with N.B 3.0 which is totally customizable.

Michael Norman wrote: "Robert has repeatedly said NB is the future of Xywrite ..."

This is true in the same sense that French (or any other Romance language) is the future of Latin.
There is a place for classical Latin and classical XyWrite. Classical XyWrite/XPL is a dead
language, and very much alive for that reason. Its immutability is a clear advantage.

Mike Shupp wrote: "I would love to see the XyWrite 3.55 or 3.56 documentation in some complete
form, html or (preferably) pdf or LaTEX or whatever"

http://www.xywrite.com/ has a fragment of the manual in PDF form. Those of us who have access to the original documentation would do a great thing by joining forces with that site and supplementing the missing pieces.

Carl wrote: "I wouldn't assume that any version of XyWrite is "abandonware". The
XyWrite "engine" that's licensed to Nota Bene no doubt includes code
that dates back to the earliest versions of Xy; the rights to that
code are owned by the licensor, whoever that may be. "

Earlier versions have no real support. Abandonware sites abound with no longer supported Microsoft
and Adobe programs. They are not actively prosecuted by those mighty companies. In this sense old
DOS versions are up for graps. More importantly, XyWrite documentation is of general and historical
programming interest. This is an urgent archival project.

Best regards,

Kari Eveli
LEXITEC Book Publishing (Finland)
lexitec@xxxxxxxx