Re: Probably off topic. but highly relevant to Xywrite users in a windows world

Carl asked: So, what will a "home computer" look like in 2054?
Not home computer, but personal computer. I mean really personal-- implants with something approaching thought command (the logical step after voice command). The technology has already been tested on paraplegics who can only just move their eyes; tiny implanted receptors pick up muscle-nerve signals behind the eyeballs and activate computer-controlled servos to steer their wheelchairs left or right.
My wife is a radiologist and is working on a cutting-edge research
project. CT scans can now detect individual thought patterns, by
which I do _not_ mean they can read our minds. [No CIA-style lie-
detector is in the works.] They can tell a person on the CT scanner
bed to think of something and then something else, and the CT scanner
registers a difference. This was used, recently, to determine whether
comatose patients were consciously trapped in unresponsive bodies or
vegetating. They were instructed to think first of going on holiday
and then to add three numbers, or something like that; if the CT
scanner showed a difference, it could safely be concluded that the
patient was conscious, if not not.
We know that people can affect their nervous systems and blood
pressure by autogenic training. These effects can be measured
objectively by instruments. Anything which can be measured is a
potential "on-off switch" for an engine (whether mechanical,
electrical, or in programming code).
Put the pieces together and you're on the road to implanted computer
systems which react to entirely internally generated commands.
I know, it sounds far-fetched to be doing thought-processing instead
of word processing in XyWrite, but shucks, 40 years ago Captain
Kirk's communicator was pure fantasy, too. It has become an
affordable reality in everyman's vest pocket--it goes "beep beep" and
wherever you are on the planet, Lt. Uhura is on the other end saying
"Klingons off the starboard bow!" In 2054 it'll be: "We are Borg.
Resistance is futile."

JPEG image