Oddities in printing from XyWin

Can the collected wisdom of this list help me get rid of a peculiar
 pair of anomalies that are apparently being introduced into a file in
 the process of printing, in defiance of the XyWrite data?

 I'm running XyWin 4.12J under Windows 3.1 on a PC (486 66mHz).
 The printer is an HP LaserJet 5L; the printer driver instruction at the
 end of XWSET.DFL reads "1=LPT1,C:\XW\HPLJ-2P.PRN,HP LaserJet IIP".

 I append the formatting commands at the head of the file, and two items
 selected from a long discography (about 700 entries) in which my
 anomalies appear irregularly and inconsistently.

 I apologize for the cluttered look of the file: when I try to read this
 extract through someone else's eyes, it looks embarrassingly the way a
 [groan] Microsoft Word file might look -- if MS Word had an expanded
 display. This file has some features (e.g. frequent use of ascii 32)
 whose goals could probably be achieved more elegantly if I knew how.

 Under "formatting", for clarity and brevity :) I've omitted the running
 headers (different ones for RHO and RHE) and added some hard returns.
 The only hard returns in the actual file are those shown here by .

 formatting:
 ≪PW8.5IN≫≪FD11IN≫≪PB80≫
 ≪IP0IN,0.4IN,0IN≫≪TS0.2IN,0.35IN,2.5IN≫
 ≪AL1≫≪LL0.01IN,0IN≫
 ≪OF0.7IN,0IN≫
 ≪UFTimes new roman≫≪SZ9PT≫≪SY9U,0,0,1≫
 ≪TP0.25IN,0.7IN≫≪BT0IN,1IN,0.5IN,1.6IN≫
 ≪BL1≫≪ET+0IN≫≪EE+0IN≫≪UBNO≫
 ≪GU0.1IN,0IN≫≪SN0IN,3.7795IN≫

 ≪NB≫≪MD+BO≫Um Mitternacht≪MD-BO≫ D.862 ≪MD+IT≫Schulze≪MD-IT≫
 pr.
 ≪MD+BO≫PetersII.162≪MD-BO≫
 *1969**FDbox2|8::
 8≪SZ7PT≫(lp47p.47)≪SZ9PT≫
 #1992Hyp.18:Schreier

 ≪NB≫≪MD+BO≫Im Walde_9*≪MD-BO≫ D.834 (Ich wandre über Berg und
 Tal) ≪MD+IT≫Schulze≪MD-IT≫
 pr.
 ≪MD+BO≫PetersIII.57≪MD-BO≫
 *1969**FDbox2|7::
 6≪SZ7PT≫(lp44p.42)≪SZ9PT≫
 #1992Hyp.18:Schreier≪EL0.05IN≫

 The following 3-line entries are almost identical; but they print
 differently in two respects:

 (1) At * in the second entry and throughout the rest of the
 document, the font (nominally Times New Roman 9pt) looks
 consistent and correct; but in the first entry, up to the
 instruction ≪SZ7PT≫, the type _looks_ visibly larger than the
 same passage in the second entry.

 (2) At ** in the second entry, the em-dash  prints
 correctly; but in the first entry the em-dash prints as an en-
 dash , with spaces before & after!

 These two anomalies shown in the first entry here recur at
 various places in the file -- i.e. there's nothing unique about
 the fact that the first entry _is_ the _first_. The two anomalies
 (wrong visual size, and ascii 260 replaced by spaced ascii 259)
 always seem to go together.

Thanks
Eric Van Tassel