Need advice re a new laser printer

With prices (even here in the U.K.) falling steadily, I'm about to
replace my HP 5L with a new low-end laser printer. Based on advice in
magazines and looking most closely at cost (my criteria are [a] low
per-page cost, [b] clean duplexing so I can use up the versos of all
those rejected drafts, and [c] reliability since after only a few years
my 5L demands to be fed one sheet at a time), I've narrowed my choices
down to two probables:
    Minolta PagePro 1300W
    Brother HL-1430
with per-page cost and design slightly favoring the Brother.

Since I've been unable to purge either my XyWin or my XyDOS 4 of various
corruptions, for some time I've been doing almost all my printing-out
via conversion to MS Word. But I'm planning shortly to reformat my C
drive and reinstall Win98 SE and all the programs, and I'm hoping then
to reinstall both forms of XyWrite, and I'd love to be able once again
to print direct from XyDOS. If that becomes possible, what printer
driver should I be using, either from the original XyDOS 4 installation
or downloadable?

Thanks
Eric Van Tassel