Re: 3+ and new laser printer

Jay Harlow wrote:

> Any ideas on what .prn file to use to print from Xy3+ running under
> Win98 on a Samsung 1200 laser printer? And where I would find such a
> .prn file?

This is another mfr. that I did not even know made printers. I guess
the first question is: does it emulate any of the popular standards,
such as HP Lasers. Such info would likely only be available in the
manual, or possibly in a Tech. Ref. manual, which many Co.s charge extra
for.
Even if it does not emulate anything, the latter would have the specific
printer Control Codes, which theoretically would enable someone so
inclined to write their own printer driver (which is all Ascii
characters, not some compiled binary). There was a detailed printer
template in the exemplary 3+ manual, possibly something similar for ver.
4 printer files in the less comprehensive ver. 4 Xy manual. Another
possibility is to use a Postscript driver or interpreter, as has been
discussed here before, and which is also addressed on Annie Fisher's 3+
oriented website.

> Would it be much easier in Xy4?

I'm pretty sure there were never any printer drivers expressly for this
line, even in the Xy4DOS days. Nor were there any for LexMark's, among
many others. Should your Samsung happen to mimic the HP standard, it is
quite possible you would obtain at least some functionality out of one
of the HP drivers.

Jordan