Re: OT: some questions for our Apple + Parallels Users

My experience was entirely the opposite of what Kari said:

 - I ran XP via Parallels on a MacBook Pro for 2 years, with no problem
other than a bit of slowness and a bit of roundaboutness in doing some
things. (In the end, I found OS X no better than Windows, so I went back to
Windows (Win 7).) During those two years, I "lived" on the XP/Parallels/Mac
system, and ran XyWrite inside it. Worked pretty well: not bad enough to
jump ship right away; not good enough to stay on board more than 2 years.

 - I don't recall paying for any new license.

 - I transferred a (working) XP over to the MacBook, using the Parallels
"transporter" or whatever it's called; because I was going from a
completely functional XP system, I didn't have to use any image or cloud
(but it took about 13 hours!)

In the end, it depends on what she is trying to do. Does she *want* to move
to Apple? Is the learning curve in going from XP to Win 7 to steep for her?
Etc.

Regards,
Harry

Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Jordan, There are several caveats in all of this: - XP is not well suited for virtualization, period - XP needs a new license when installed in a VM - Acronis images are not portable as such to Mac - Parallels might not be ideal for trying this I will not say that it cannot be done, but it may prove to be more than you bargained for. One possible approach I would suggest is using vmWare to convert the Acronis image and Fusion to set up the Win on Mac part, see: https://www.vmware.com/id/support/windows_to_mac.html It would make much more sense to repurchase the missing PC software disks needed or to replace the programs somehow, and to install them in a new PC with a current OS. P.S. I have no experience of doing PC to Mac heart transplants, so the patient may die. Best regards, Kari Eveli LEXITEC Book Publishing (Finland) lexitec@xxxxxxxx *** Lexitec Online *** Lexitec in English: http://www.lexitec.fi/english.html Home page in Finnish: http://www.lexitec.fi/