mac filing system

With xy I can open a new file and specify exactly where I want to store
it -- eg \a\notes\disaster\volcano or whatever.
With the mac I just get to name the file and I'm giving a list of
directories or places to put it -- and anything I have not used a lot
recently is not on the list. The best way I have found (with the help of a
mac 'genius bar' type is to put the file on the desktop, then open folders
to find the directory or subdirectory I want to store it in and drag and
drop it there. It works, but it's a drag.
Also -- one of my directories (\a\notes) has more than 500 files in it, and
it's a nuisance dragging the cursor down the line to find them. I know I can
type the first letter and jump to that section of the list, but it's still a
lot slower than just typing the path and name of the file I want to open.
Textwrangler (the only decent writing program I have found for the mac) can
open files by name -- but it won't accept directory/file name and it's very
slow working through a few thousand files. Since some of the names are
duplicated in different directories, it often makes up a list and asks me to
choose. Even when everything else I'm working on is in the same directory,
it wants to search the whole machine.
Things are hard to find because when I use the search command, (the little
magnifying glass doohickey on the top-right) it just gives me names, and I
have to put the cursor on the names, one by one, to find out where the files
are. I have to really want something to find it on the mac, because
otherwise I may forget why I wanted it before I find it.
One thing I do a lot of is type random thoughts into my 'notes' directory.
(that's why it's so big). I note the thoughts on cards first, (while I'm out
walking, or whatever) and when I set down to type I may have entries to make
in 10 or 20 directories, in random order. With xy it's no sweat -- open
files and store them, one by one -- but with the mac it's a much longer
process to find and open a file, and it's a drag.
On the other hand, I like reading things on the mac and I like the keyboard,
so I keep it. I'm tempted to get a new mac and run windows/xy on it, but
since the days of dos I've found major disappointments with every new
machine I've bought, (too many of them!) and I'm getting to the point where
I don't expect any new machine to be much good.

andy t
----- Original Message ----- From: "David Auerbach"
Sent: Saturday, September 26, 2009 10:45 PM
Subject: Re: WinXP screen buffer
On my mac I put things directly into subsubsubsubdirectories all the
time. Unless I'm not getting what you mean?

David Auerbach
Department of Philosophy & Religion
Box 8103
NCSU