Re: Drive Image--OT

** Reply to message from Harry Binswanger  on Tue, 10 Jan 2006
18:20:22 -0800

>> My method is different. I use native Backup + ERUNT, then I do a barebones
>> install on the reformatted disk, just enough to get functionality from the
>> Restore util, then I bring my whole old system back. It's super fast, and I
>> can testify that it works.

> Could you elaborate on that? E.g., by "native Backup" you mean the
> Windows-supplied Backup?

Yes. Start ==> Programs ==> Accessories ==> System Tools ==> Backup
> and what is ERUNT?

Check XySearch/Google/etc

> And what do you mean by "a barebones install"?

A basic reinstallation of the operating system -- no configuration or program
installation, just the OpSys.

> How does one do that?

>From the M$ CD!

> And how do you bring back your
> whole system, including preferences and Registry settings?

Using Backup/Restore, as above, plus ERDNT. Everything comes back, just as it
was. Very fast.

> What I'm looking for is how to get back to the state
> *everything* was in before I would have reformatted.

Right. That's what this does. The question is, do you have an image file
method that is faster/easier? The real problem is not making an image file,
but rather that, if your boot drive is now disabled or reformatted, where do
you find the operating system under which you boot and then restore the image
file?

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx