Re: NumLock under W2000 and XP

Martin,

As I wrote you privately (but may be of interest to the group), I followed
up on one of Robert's leads and got DOSIDLE, a program that is supposed to
do something similar to what TAMEDOS does. My CPU usage does seem to be
entirely reasonable now, judging by what I see in Task Manager's display.
Would it be inappropriate to ask David Thomas if TameDOS has advantages
over DOSIDLE?

--Harry

I wrote to David Thomas, the author of TameDOS, regarding the flashing NumLock indicator that sometimes occurs when running Xy4DOS under W2000 and XP. His response is below. I don't have an answer to his closing question---I haven't isolated the conditions under which the problem arises---and haven't had time to test his suggested registry change. Message from David Thomas: "By default, Tame does toggle numlock in order to correct a problem with Windows handling of the numlock. Perhaps this is causing a problem. It may be disabled by setting a registry value. Registry values can be effective system-wide, or only for specific users. The key named HKLM\Software\TameDOS contains system wide values, and HKCU\Software\TameDOS contains user overrides. To disable the numlock toggle, select the user key or the system key, create a REG_DWORD value named ResetNumlock and set it to 0. If that does not help, I am willing to look into it. Can you suggest an approach that can reliably duplicate the problem?" -- Martin J. Osborne Department of Economics 150 St. George Street University of Toronto Toronto M5S 3G7 Canada http://www.economics.utoronto.ca martin.osborne@xxxxxxxx http://www.economics.utoronto.ca/osborne +1 416-978-5094
Harry Binswanger hb@xxxxxxxx