Re: Further experiments with XP/Vbox/8.1

I'm afraid that's the extent of my knowledge, Bill; I'm no Vbox guru,
and I don't use Vbox for XyWrite (since that's running in Dosemu on Linux).
You might give it a try again, perhaps booting your WinXP VM in safe
mode first, before you try to install the Guest Additions in the VM;
when I installed Guest Additions in normal mode I got several protests
from the Vbox WinXP about wrecking my installation, and I had to OK
proceeding several times. Needless to say, nothing was wrecked. One
website I looked at said Guest Additions installation would fail if you
attempted to install 3D guest support when the WinXP VM was in normal
mode. (I didn't install 3D support.)
The literature does recommend reinstalling Guest Additions if Virtualbox
is upgraded; I wonder if that might be affecting your old, primary
setup. (It's just a stab in the dark.)

Paul Lagasse