Re: Someone needs help getting XyWrite III+ to print on win95

Reply to messages from Harriet Hodges  and M.W.
Poirier  et al.

Amen, sisters. At least in principle. I think maybe he's carrying the
Luddite bit to extremes, but then who knows, he may have financial
difficulties we don't dream of. And though Carl's point is valid, if this
guy really doesn't know how to use the Net and e-mail, maybe everyone is
better off if he doesn't try. I recently read a rant somewhere about
people who shouldn't be allowed on the Net, because their PCs become
zombies, spewing out all sorts of malware.

But here's what C. S. Lewis said about the general principle:

"To value anything simply because it occurs is to worship success, like
Quislings or the men of Vichy. [Other philosphies more reprehensible may
have been devised, but] none more vulgar than such grovelling prostration
before a fait accompli."

That's quoted from memory, since I cannot lay my hand on the exact
source; I'm pretty sure of the first and last parts, but that between
"Vichy" and "more vulgar" may not be the ipsissima verba.

I'm still willing to help the poor guy, but it's been so long since I
used XyIII that I feel I'm not the best candidate. Dale, could you tell
me off list more precisely what his problem is? Can he print from
Windows? From a DOS Prompt? How is the printer connected? Does Control
Panel see it?

Patricia M. Godfrey
PMGodfrey@xxxxxxxx