NTVDM.exe has encountered a problem

I'm having a problem with one computer, using the same XY4 and (thank you Michael Norman) TAME that
I have been using lo these many years.

The computer is the ultra-mini Fujitsu U820 running the tablet edition of XP Pro. My other computers
all use (non-tablet) XP Pro. It's got a decent processor for such a tiny thing, 1.6 Ghz, and .99G of
RAM. (By the way, I don't recommend it unless you have very tiny fingers and good eyes.)

After a while--which may be 90 seconds or 7-8 minutes--I get the message "NTVDM.exe has
encountered a problem and needs to close" followed by the rest of Microsoft's boilerplate. No
error number, no memory location. Autosav*.tmp files don't have what I was working on when I reopen
XY4.

I cannot reliably set off the crash, though I have tried. It's often after doing some web browsing
(Firefox) but that may be a coincidence, simply related to how much time I have had the XY window
open.

I have tried it with and without TAME installed and have the same behavior, and I prefer to keep
TAME for its display improvements. TAME doesn't seem to make any difference one way or another.

I realize the key to troubleshooting is to find the immediate trigger for the crash, but I could use
some step-by-step help in how to do that. Opening (for instance) wireless networking doesn't
immediately cause a crash. Opening Firefox doesn't immediately cause a crash. But sooner or later it
crashes.

Any thoughts?

Jon Pareles