Re: xpl code on a website; TTG

In the light of what Carl said a little while back about the hazards of
sending anything but plain ASCII over the Net, wouldn't having the
programs sent by FTP, with a description on the Website, be safer? Of
course, if your host doesn't support FTP, that's not much good.
	As for TTG's dropping the ball, has anyone ever thought of either
instituting a class-action suit demanding, or pressing for legislation
that would say, that if a software company abandons a product, it
automatically enters the public domain? At least to the extent of making
copying legal. I believe that if books are out of print and in short
supply, libraries at least do have a right to make photocopes and bind
them, even if the works are not yet technically out of copyright. And
when I studied moral theology (in a RC college before Vatican II), we
learned that it wasn't stealing if you took something, the owner of which
was "unreasonably unwilling" you should have it. If you cannot lawfully
buy a program because someone won't develop, maintain, or sell it, but
hangs onto the copyright, that sure sounds like "unreasonably unwilling"
to me.
Patricia M. Godfrey
P and Q Editorial Services