Re: A radical idea: a new XyWrite

2) Given the speed of modern processors, would it be feasible to write an XPL interpreter in a language accessible to or hooked into (if that's the right phrase) existing text or 'programming' editors?

Can you explain that a little? Would the input be XPL and the output be, say Python? Or are you talking about going the other way around? Or some third alternative.

And a related question:

In text/programming editors such as TextMate, how difficult would it be to mimic the format-coding-hiding-and-revealing behaviour of XyWrite? Is there an editor that would make this easy to accomplish?     I rarely want anything approaching WYSIWYG, but it is much easier to write in XyWrite if the codes are hidden in the triangles.

In Notepad++, what I do is set a very small font-size and very light color for things I don't want to see most of the time. Since N++ has only monospaced fonts, this is not a great solution. (You could hide them totally by selecting white on white as the color of the text to hide, but the "hidden" stuff would still take up spaces.)

When I want to see the codes, I specify "Normal Text" under the "language" menu item.

Here are screenshots of HTML tags minimized and not minimized:

http://harrybinswanger.com/N++_screenshots.htm; eudora="autourl"> http://harrybinswanger.com/N++_screenshots.htm

Myron