Re: XYWRITE digest 2815

** Reply to message from "William E. Shawcross"
on Tue, 06 Mar 2007 14:59:52 -0500

> The original message appears to have an
> error in it -- NET SHARE is needed to show the names of shared printers;
> NET VIEW just gives you the name of the server.

NET SHARE displays the sharenames of local devices; NET VIEW displays the
sharenames of remote devices. A network printer is (usually) a "remote"
device, i.e. not physically attached to your workstation but rather accessible
through your LAN (router|hub) or the WAN (Wide Area Network = the Internet).

I use U2's TYN (TYpe Network) command mostly nowadays with all my LAN printers.
HELP TYN will give you barebones info -- be sure to set up two REG
variables (IPaddress and PrinterHostName). Printer must understand PCL or PS.

U2's TYP (TYpe Postscript) works when nothing else does. I have a vague
recollection that I wrote (under duress) a standalone TYP for Xy3+, but really
can't remember -- check the archives.

[Later: For TYP for Xy3, start here:
 http://xywrite.org/msg00211.htm
and follow the thread, then go here:
 http://xywrite.org/msg00252.htm
and also read this thread too:
 http://xywrite.org/msg00256.htm
All three of these root msgs contain Xy3+ files to DL. Maybe you can glean
something pertinent to your situation from the discussions, so I'd rummage the
archives for info -- we've been around and around this topic many times, but
the whole thing is like shifting sand because there are so many different
solutions. One thing is certain, though: if you're skilled, you can easily
make one of them work].

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx