Re: Netscape, XyWrite, and the Media

On Mon, Feb 21, 2000 at 08:34:32PM -0500, Harry Binswanger wrote:
> >If giving a near-monopoly on the operating system to a company that wants to
> >sell *applications* is such a great idea, how about
>
> Guess who "gave" MS the "near-monopoly"? Users. By their purchases. It was
> not a Government 5-year Plan that did it. Nor can such a plan fix things.

I'll sidestep this, but i will agree that if the users didn't paly a hand in
their dominance, then certainly the corporate buyers (the one's MS gave a
copy of Office for <$25 a pop) are to blame. I mean the only people that i
have to worry about Word formatting for is THESE people. Most real writers i
know and talk to DON'T use it.

> I'm hoping the new fusion of Apple and Linux will provide a better
> alternative than Windows (which I curse daily).

Actually it's BSD, rather than Linux, which is more stable, robust, time
tested and also free & open. I'm looking forward to it as well, as well as
the possibility of the Intel version that exists in the lab that has been
getting the same revisions as the PPC version! :)

it looks cool!

Russ