SmartWords is real (was Re: TGRP web page

Reply to note from "N. Sivin"
 Tue, 19 Aug 97 08:35:58 +0000

-> If of XyWrite, the next version (SmartWords), now in
-> vaporware...

SmartWords is real. I saw it in action in June. The demo
focused more on the document-building technology than on word-
processing features. As best I could tell, it's a polished,
mostly-finished app with the ability (among others) to
generate and automatically update complex documents by
incorporating and manipulating text and database information
according to user-specified rules. The flexibility and
customizability of these features was impressive. (Yes, the
command line is still there.)

SmartWords has been incorporated in at least one app for the
legal market, Wealth Transfer Planning for Windows, which is
in beta testing according to the TTG web page. Obviously, my
exposure was limited, but what I saw of SmartWords leads me to
believe that it has significant potential in a variety of
business and academic applications. I understand that TTG is
at work on adding some advanced word-processing features with
an eye toward an eventual release of SmartWords as a self-
contained document-builder/word-processor, but I could be
wrong. Perhaps Ken Frank could give us a progress report.

Carl Distefano