Re: Off topic (Win2K stability)

** Reply to message from "J. R. Fox"  on Wed, 29 Oct 2003
11:42:57 -0800

Jordan:

> This is intended for Robert, or whoever may have a lot more familiarity
> with W2K than I do. Is there a particular known file or group of files
> where the W2K Password lives ?

I don't know, off hand. If Microsoft tried to protect any information, that
would be top of the list. Check DejaNews. Maybe SysInternals has something
that will help you reset your Admin password? Maybe you just don't have -- and
don't need -- a password any more? (I set up one of my machines to no
password, and it works without complaint. I despise passwords.)

When something goes awry on my system, I swap in my backup Registry files
(ERUNT does a Scheduled Task every day [if W2K is running] in the wee hours,
backing up the Registry). I've used it a half dozen times, and it works --
seems almost miraculous to get the old comfy system right back where it was.
That won't help, however, if you've gone from SP3 to SP4 and encounter these
problems on initial upgraded restart (probably a recipe for disaster, in fact,
to swap in old SP3 Registry).

It won't be any comfort, but I've upgraded three dual-boot Win2K + OS/2 MCP2
machines to W2K SP4 without problems. OS/2 boots fine (one of the machines is
OS/2 FP 15, actually; the other two are MCP2 with LVM; all use Boot Manager).
I think W2K is extremely stable. It rarely crashes. Maybe 2 or 3 times in as
many years -- and in each case, I was the direct cause (and I knew why, too:
messing around where I shouldn't).

Is it just my imagination, or faulty recollection, or do you actually
experience more than your share of disruptive hardware and OpSys problems?

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx