Re: Editing a 2GB+ file

Sorry about the silence, folks. I've been slicing and dicing the giant In.mbx file. As the discussion has ascertained, it's all ASCII, though in my case some of that is the revealed codes for the HTML everyone wants to send me.

My thanks to all of you for the suggestions, which I combined to solve the problem.

What happened, it turned out, is that someone sent an email that replicated itself and its neighbor
to turn a 80MB mailbox into 2.1GB.

Chop31 didn't work for me. However, I found "The File Splitter 1.31" and cut the file
into 500MB chunks. Still too large for XyWrite. I used EditPad Lite, which revealed the problem, and
deleted what I think were thousands of duplicates of the evil email. I've had Eudora make three or
four duplicates before, but not thousands. (I will be virus-scanning shortly, though all incoming
email is already scanned at the gateway and on this computer.)

It's strange that Eudora never put in a warning: "Your Inbox is approaching the size
limit." And I do regularly rename the In box when I see it nearing 100MB. But this email was a
doozy.

Jon Pareles