RE: OED, CD-ROMS, Hard drives, etc.

** Reply to note from "Thomas A. Robertson"  Thu, 6 Mar 97 14:42:31 UT

> I am using a combination of Logicraft Virtual CD-ROM (www.logicraft.com, 800
> 880 5644, $69.99) and Partition Magic (www.powercraft.com, 800 379 2566,
> $69.95) to load a number of reference CD-ROMs onto my hard disk.

I'm curious why you need a "virtual CD-ROM". Can't you just copy the files
from CD-ROM to HD, preserve the directory structure if any, give files a
read-only attribute (if it matters -- I don't see why it does), and run the
programs?

That's what I did with Sansyusya's "Languages of the World" (a great 13-language
multilingual dictionary/database, unfortunately no longer available in USA), and
-- it worked like a charm. Likewise Random House Unabridged Dictionary...

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx