Re: newcomer, questions

Carl Distefano wrote:

> Reply to note from "tom horton"  Mon, 27 Aug 2001
> 19:48:45 +0200
>
> > I use the se command lots and wonder whether there's any way to
> > modify it to look through subdrctries.
>
> I prefer to use grep or a similar utility to search through
> subdirectories. I particularly like MiniTrue, a freeware DOS utility
> (download at http://www.pagesz.net/~minitrue/) which can emulate grep.
> (Grep, a Unix term, stands for "Globally search for a Regular Expression
> and Print the lines containing matches to it.") Search results can be
> redirected to a file, and this result file can then be viewed in XyWrite
> or any other text editor.

If I have to leave Xy to do this, I think I'd rather just use my file
manager, which tends to be running all the time in another session anyway.
Having flagged the file hits, they can then be zeroed in on, with any
editing or re-use to be handled by Xy. OTOH, this approach can't make use
of a Boolean expression for the search, as Xy could do, and possibly your
recommeded utility does also (?)

Jordan