Re: Hungarian conversion filters

** Reply to message from Bill Troop  on Sun, 29 Sep 2002
19:10:36 -0400

Bill:

> http://www.glinx.com/~grifwood/wsw2w4w.html

That's an interesting web page -- thanks.

Adobe bought Inso which bought Mastersoft, and Adobe buried the filters circa
1997.

XyWin uses the DLLs, Xy4DOS the EXEs. I once tried to use some Lotus W4W DLLs
in XyWin, but it was no-go. Since the EXEs are standalone, I can't think of
any reason not to use them preferentially -- they just work, from a DOS command
line, independent of any word processor (for usage, see my web page at XyWWWeb,
referenced here the other day). The latest EXEs (from the Hungarian FTP site)
are dated 19.8.1996 also, about the same as the DLLs.

I have the Adobe File Utilities standalone W4W manager for DOS v1.0. That
simplifies things a bit, but you *don't need it* (although it contains a very
long, and illuminating, manual in PDF format). The EXEs work fine all by
themselves, all the AFU does is prepare the switches to launch the EXEs --
which you can do from the command line.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx