Re: Windows 8

The link is to a whole XP virtual machine with I.E. in it. There's no point
in just having an old I.E. (and it wouldn't be 400MB, but about 10MB). They
say:

"we release pre-configured virtual machines containing old versions of
Internet Explorer to support web developers."

Snap it up.

--- On Fri, 10/26/12, Harry Binswanger wrote: > > >Well yeah, but virtualization also seems to have been a > priority: > > > >http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/09/07/bringing-hyper-v-to-wind ows-8.aspx>http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/09/07/bringing-hyper-v-to-windows-8.aspx > > > > > Wow, they have a 400 MB pre-configured XP virtual machine > for Win7. I'm > downloading that before it disappears. > > Harry, Maybe you can point out where I missed it in that piece, but I did not see such a link -- only one for different versions of Internet Explorer ? Also, I recall printing out a piece that I think ran in The Register ("the hand that bites IT" is their motto) some time ago, about how the built-in virtualization in (the top editions of) Win-7 was largely smoke and mirrors, likely to disappoint in terms of real-world performance, compared to other, outside solutions like VMWare player. I just went looking for that link, but did not manage to find it again. If I still have the hardcopy and can find it, I could probably get more specific. Jordan