Source-code for XyWrite - a course of action

Hello dreamers,

This is a nice château en Espagne, and it will remain so if there is no
source code for the project.

How to go about this? I think the last owners of XyWrite rights cannot
easily be reached or perhaps they can. Back in 2002 I got this email
from Dave Erickson (a reply to an inquiry I sent to a friend of his):

"I was the founder of XyQuest and the primary author of XyWrite. While
I have access to the sources for XyWrite, the rights now belong to TTG
or its successors. However, NotaBene has licensed the right to use the
XyWrite source and is still producing a product that is based on
XyWrite. I have been working with NotaBene to a limited degree and they
are about ready to release a new version of NotaBene. You might wish to
contact Steve Siebert about NotaBene or if you have more questions feel
free to send me an e-mail."

These basics have not changed. I think NotaBene could have a vested
interest in a parallel development of the XyWrite code base. The
resources at that end are limited as anyone who has followed NB
development knows. In case they were willing to share some of the code
or let us get source code from Dave to put together a generic XyWrite
open-source project (not an academic word processor) that might be
useful to NB development as well. If NotaBene does not see the potential
benefits of this, I would say that this project is a non-starter. The
rights have to be negotiated with NB and possibly TTG or its successors
(if found).

If there are parties that want to pursue this, then, in my opinion, this
action would be warranted: first contact Steve Siebert, then depending
on the outcome possibly Dave Erickson. Before doing anything further,
run a legal check to trace the TTG situation.

Best regards,

Kari Eveli
LEXITEC Book Publishing (Finland)
lexitec@xxxxxxxx