bad excuse but inquiry

Even after following Patricia's excellent advice about immediately
partitioning hard drives in order to avoid losing data, I have managed to
accomplish a true "Lucille Ball" catastrophe, details of which I will not
disclose.

Bottom line, my new Gateway laptop with Windows XP is completely dead. I've
lost all data. I am going to throw out there - I had XyWrite running
beautifully - with years of tweaking following advice and suggestions here -

I would like the advice of people here who use XyWrite DOS what laptop would
you recommend. I've been wanting to venture to switch to a MAC. I've
gleaned some messages recently about people who have successfully been able
to run XyDos on a MAC. If MAC is a viable option, would it entail
purchasing "Virtual PC" program?

Anyway, anyone who has the energy or whereabouts to respond, I would be
grateful.

Mimi Gauthier LeBien
(list member for many many years!)