Re: OT--Win7 and disk partitions

>I had TrueImage 10, and
basically liked it although you could not extract individual
files to the specified directory -- it always put them at the
specified location in a "Drive(X)" directory, and then recreated
the directory tree there instead of where you directed the files
to go.

TrueImage has its limitations (I have version 11 with free update from the Acronis site). The
restore option is usable and reliable for entire disks and/or partitions. For individual files I
have used the following: mount the disk image, and copy the file normally. The mounted disk image is
just like another disk drive. It is a snapshot of your disk at a certain date. You can browse back
in history and pick what you need. TrueImage backs up everything: Windows, Linux, and the disk
structure. When used the right way, it has proved to be very reliable.

Acronis Disk Director Suite 10 is very useful, too. The partitioning works well, but Acronis OS Selector is unusable. I have Windows XP, Win2K and Linux on my machine. To get them to boot properly I have used Super Grub (http://www.supergrubdisk.org/), which is Linux freeware. It even fixes unbootable Windows installations. Acronis OS Selector is to be avoided. Causes unpredictable behavior and is potentially unrecoverable. Acronis advanced partition hiding can be tricky, too. If you are running plain Windows, you do not need these advanced techniques. If you need them (multiple Windows versions and/or Linux), use Super Grub.

Best regards,

Kari Eveli
LEXITEC Book Publishing (Finland)
lexitec@xxxxxxxx