Re: Getting an LPT4 on XP

REply to message from Harry Binswanger  on Mon, 07 Mar
2005 20:26:49 -0500

≪How do I get XP to recognize LPT4 or LPT3? ≫

I'm not sure, because I don't have an XP box to experiment on, so must
rely on others' say-so, but when Michael Norman and I went round this
mulberry bush a while back, he cited an expert on another discussion list
who maintained that XP doesn't allow more than one, or perhaps two,
virtual LPT ports. But why do you need to use LPT 3 or 4? You surely
don't have two printers hooked up to two parallel ports on your XP box?
(And if you did, why not print to them?) Even if you have a USB printer,
it's not using an LPT port. So map your networked printer to LPT 1. Try
using the command-line NET USE command that Robert cited here a couple of
times. You'll then have to change the PP table in SETTINGS.DFL, of
course.

Patricia M. Godfrey
PMGodfrey@xxxxxxxx