Re: Fwd: Check Your Computer at the Border

On Fri, 14 Aug 1998, leslie bialler wrote:

> Probably one of those Internet hoaxes. I don't believe a word of it.

Oh, I believe it. It was recently reported in =Science Fiction
Chronicle=, a news magazine of the science fiction field, that David
Asimov (son of Isaac) had taken his computer to be repaired. The repair
place discovered what they considered to be child pornography on his hard
disk, which resulted in his getting arrested.

As it happens, his hobby is videotaping his favorite TV shows, which means
that when the police raided his home, they discovered a lot of videotape
and video equipment. This made them think he was dealing in the stuff.
His attorney remarked that they're going to watch an awful lot of "Ozzie
and Harriet" as they go through those tapes.

But this should give any of us pause as to what we store on our hard
disks.

 A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                     617.367.0468
 15 Court Square                   lawyer@xxxxxxxx
 Boston, MA 02108-2503            http://world.std.com/~lawyer/