Re: Expanded memory

On 23 Jun 2000, at 6:50, Robert Holmgren wrote:
> I'm trying to understand the error message (from afar):
>
> > "The computer is not configured for expanded memory in
> > MS-Dos sessions. Details: Third-party memory-managment
> > software has not been configured for expanded memory.
> > Consult the product documentation for instructions on how to
> > enable expanded memory."
>
> How do you explain this?
OK, I was wrong before... Here is the real scoop on Win98 and expanded memory. From the Win98 resource kit on the Win98 CD
\tools\reskit\help\rk98book.chm
=======
Note:
Windows 98 automatically provides expanded memory for MS-DOS-based applications that require it to run. Windows cannot provide this memory, however, if you include a statement in Config.sys that loads Emm386.exe with the noems parameter. When you include Emm386.exe in Config.sys, use the ram parameter or use the x=mmmm-nnnn statement to allocate enough space in the upper memory area for Windows 98 to create an EMS page frame
=======

So this person
apparently has some third party memory manager installed that specifically excludes expanded memory. OR they have a leftover config.sys from a previous OS that excludes expanded memory.

My old suggestion should still work, although it is redundant in Win98.

Chances are that this person can rename (backup, delete) the CONFIG.SYS file so Windows doesn't see it anymore, and everything should work.

They could also "rem" out the himem.sys and emm386.exe lines of the config.sys.

--
-Robert Orndorff
Richmond, VA

http://www.rmonet.com>;