RE: TED--a Linux Xy-type editor?

I've looked at Ted before, but normally don't have a Linux system up and
running. The Win32 version of Ted runs on WinXP, but development seems to
have stopped in 1998, well short of XyWin's capabilities.

We will have a number of alternatives:

1) Move to a markup language approach to writing rather than a
wordprocessor. HTML and similar things seem to be widely used, although
editing them is a real pain. My personal preference is LaTeX, although the
learning curve for this can be pretty steep. Once you're up the hill,
though, it is extremely efficient for actual writing.

If we use a markup language, just about any text editor will do the job, and
there are several nice ones out there. WinEdt is extremely powerful, though
fairly "techie". The only XyWrite capacity it presently lacks is "Save-Gets"
on-the-fly... But then who else has them? Certainly not BillGatesWrite.

2) Buy Nota Bene and pressure the company to reinstitute and maintain the
XyWrite capacities. They have already moved in this direction.

3) Try to find a XyWriter who is also an old-fashioned assembly-level
programmer and would enjoy trying to modify XyWin code as it stands. I am
not convinced this is technically impossible, though it can hardly be easy.
Years ago someone modified XyWrite II+ code for me so it would run on a
weird Hyperion computer, and for several upgrades I managed to use Debug (is
that what it's called?) to make changes myself.

4) Assemble a list of XyWrite core functions and capabilities we want
preserved and try to convince someone to assemble an editor with these
properties.

5) Revert to penknife, quill and inkwell, or a similarly robust technology.

Myron Gochnauer
UNB Law