Xy4 Dos Bugs

Quoting
-> On 9-MAY-1996 21:26:54.5 xywrite said to LESLIE319
->
-> >1) The fix-spell function (ES) no longer returns the cursor to the
-> >location at which the function is called, but simply puts it on the
-> >word, which I find very annoying.
->
-> Why? Isn't it more logical to put it on the next word?

I type fast. By the time I register a misspelled word beep I've typed several words
beyond the misspelled one. Which means that if the cursor doesn't go back to where I was
typing I have to put it there myself.
I like to hit Ctrl+E, correct the word and start typing before the menu has even cleared
the screen.

-> >Thus if my printer runs out of paper at page 80 of a document, it
-> will >abort the print job and I will have to set the page range and
-> continue.
-> Oh surely not. This happens to me all the time. Sometimes I have
-> to print out 200 or so pp. at once and when my HP Laser 4V runs out
-> of paper, it simply pauses and politely waits for you to insert
-> more, and then
-> continues on its way. Ditto for a paper jam.

Perhaps your printer has so much memory that the whole document is loaded into the printer
before you run out of paper?
->
-> >2.1) Speaking of setting the page range, I have found what appear
-> to be >actual bugs with that. First, it doesn't seem to work at all
-> if you are >printing out pages in reverse order.
->
-> A curious thing to want to do. I think Tech Group can be forgiven
-> for failure to anticipate that some people might attempt such an
-> endeavor

The way my printer works, if I print out a document in forward order, pages 1-100, 100
will be the top page and 1 will be the bottom page and
I'll have to resort them by hand. And since Tech Group created the option to print in
reverse order, I think they realized people would want that.
-> >Second, setting the page range to
-> >pages 1-3 will print out pages 1-6!
->
-> Say what??? This doth not happen to me.

Hmmm, I don't know what's going on here. It's a major problem for me.
Perhaps I have something set in the settings file that is interfering.
I've found that sometimes a bug only happens in very specific circumstances.
->
-> But Charles: What about wildcard search and replace?  What about
-> calling up 90s-sized megafiles without the quaint and curious
-> "creating temporary file, do not remove C" message, of which we are
-> all so fond? What about mouse support? What about the cool little
-> thingummy on the right side of the screen that tells thee how much
-> more of the file thou hast to go? What about being able to choose
-> fonts, point sizes w/o remembering PT tables? And (if you're using
-> the DOS version) the hours of fun you can have trying to customize
-> the color of every element in the header, including t stately clock
-> that appears up there if you ask nicely.

Yeah, Xy4 added a lot of cool stuff. Customization was improved a good deal (although XPL
is still horribly primitive compared to other word processor languages I've seen). But I
still prefer a simpler application that has less bugs. (The reason I use Xy4 rather than
III+ is that for some reason III+ used to truncate long documents on me.
Something the size of the Xy III+ help file could not be edited in III+.
If not for that I would probably not use IV).

Charles