Re: autoreplace

Russ Urquhart wrote:
Out of curiosity, what was the auto replace function in 3.55 that caused them to be threatened with a lawsuit?
The ability to include "abbreviations" in a customized spelling file,
load it, have autoreplace turned on in your defaults, and then whenever
you typed that "abbreviation" the assgined phrase in the spelling file
would appear in your text. So let's say I have a spelling file that
includes the entry
ddd Borough Engineer Diggory D. Delve
Whenever I type ddd in text and hit the spacebar, "Borough Engineer Diggory D. Delve" appears in the text instead.
Some other company claimed to have copyrighted (or possbily patented, I
forget the details) this technique, and so XyQuest had to modify it. The
result was that you had to hit another key besides the spacebar after
the "abbreviation"; that was too much trouble for me, so I stuck with
the version before that "upgrade." And jumped at Xy 4 when it came out.
One thing to be said for Ken Frank: as a lawyer he knew the other
company's claim was without merit.

Patricia M. Godfrey