Re: Public Domain

Peter Evans asks a couple of questions about SmartWords:

"I'm a single person who has never worked on anything in a group and
hopes never to have to. (I don't suppose that this puts me in a small
minority among XyWrite users.) Will I have to "log in" to this program
in order to use it? Can I disable the workgroup features?"

What that means is that the product is designed so it can be used by
workgroups working on projects involving shared databases and text
libraries. It can be used on a standalone machine just as well.
Nothing has to be disabled to do that.

">With SmartWords, a user is led step-by-step through a dialog with the
>computer where a series of questions are asked. . . .

This may be a recipe for commercial success, but to me it sounds like
the antithesis of XyWrite and of any program I want to use more than
once a month."

The Q&A format is an optional method to provide information used in the
preparation of documents that contain data and conditional text. There
are a variety of other methods to get that data into the system, and the
product also happily produces standard documents that do not utilize
data at all.

"Do you mean that it can have a command line, and that, as in XyWrite,
any key combination whatever can be programmed as anything whatever?"

Command line is still there for those who want it, and the keyboard file
is as user modifiable as ever.

K.