RE:Xy3 with Novell Client 32--was keyboards/accents

	Pam Upton writes:>
> Yes, the computer in question is on a Novell network, and we recently
> upgraded our
> net software, so I'm sure we're running the 32-bit version. Funny thing
> is, we have another person who works in 3+ on a Windows 95 machine (on the
> same network) and has no problems whatsoever. So in a way this probably IS
> connected to Win98 as well as the network software, or the way the two
> work together.

	We have struggled with this same problem, and I reported it to the
List in mid-1998. I am now 99.9 percent certain it arises when (and only
when) Xy3 and Novell Client 32 reside on the same machine (there's been
some discussion about whether one or another version of Client 32 will lead
to different results, but I don't know that it's been resolved). I kept a
hard copy of the thread from the List: check out postings by Timothy Olson
(Dec. 2, 1998 and Aug. 10, 1998), Stephen Moore (Aug. 10, 1998), A. Fisher
(Nov. 1, 1998) et al.; Greg Reeves and Miriam Kleiger reported the problem
on Dec. 1, 1997. Sorry I don't seem to have saved the e-copies, but I could
fax the hard copies if anyone is desperate and can't get them from the UPenn
server (that may be the case; I think Carl or someone here said someone had
mistakenly dumped some of the older archive files???).

	As Timothy Olson noted on 12/2/98, "what happens is that any
keystroke with more than one character or function m nemonic assigned to it
in the keyboard file gets "stuck"...until another keystroke bumps both of
them out." That would explain the accents problem originally reported by Pam
Upton.

	Bottom line is: If you can persuade your MIS people to use a 16-bit
client, you can probably continue with Xy3. Xy4, I remember from an earlier
thread on the list, gives no such problem with Client 32.

	Peter Brown
	pbrown@xxxxxxxx